Femoral Stems shown here are:
Coated Hip Stem, Uncoated Hip Stem, or Revision/ Long Hip Stem
In 2019 over 70% of femoral heads were ceramic and the remaining 30% were cobalt-chrome alloy. Femoral heads range in size from 22mm to over 44mm in outside diameter.
In 2019, 59% were made of ultraporous materials. Acetabular shells may be supplemented with screws, hole plugs, and augments to improve fixation in the pelvis.
In 2019, virtually all acetabular liners were made from polyethelene — anti-oxidant, cross-linked polyethelene, and regular polyethelene.
Total Hip Replacement, Step by Step
- Preoperative Planning: Determine implants and equipment for surgery
- Incision into Joint. Posterior lateral incision shown; anterior and lateral approaches also used
- Dislocate Femur from Pelvis; Remove Femoral Head
- Ream Acetabulum
- Place Acetabular Shell and Liner
- Rasp the femoral canal; Femoral Stem trials may be placed
- Insertion of the Femoral Stem
- Placement of the Femoral Head
- Relocate hip joint and close surgical site